Frequently Asked Questions

Before you start planning your move with us, it’s important you review our service area map.


Your Questions Answered

Moving a building from one location to another is no small job and there are many questions you should be asking about the potential workload ahead. Luckily for you, we have compiled a list of some of our most frequently asked questions about home relocation and the necessary steps and requirements taken while planning, moving and prepping your house for its new location. Take a look below for our answers to some of our most asked questions.

Q: How long does a standard foundation repair take?

A: We have been able to complete a foundation repair in two weeks, however it is best if the homeowner plans for the average three weeks.

Q: Can we live in the house while it is in the air?

A: It is not recommended. When the house is being lifted and supported by our steel beams, it is disconnected from water, sewage, and often hydro. It is possible; however it disrupts normal living and does not make it pleasant for the home owner. It is also difficult to go in and out of the home, as it is stationary at a higher point and stairs/steps usually have to be removed for the repair. The repair also has specialized equipment in locations that potentially would become obstacles for footpaths.

Q: Is a building permit required if I repair my foundation?

A: Yes. The homeowner is responsible for submission, approval and costs of the building permit. The building inspector is required to inspect the repair at several intervals to ensure the repair meets the Ontario Building Code standards. Applications are available from your local municipal building department. They are often located within the local municipal office. Foundation repairs may also affect the septic system as well if applicable.

Q: Is a building permit required if I move a structure?

A: Yes. The homeowner is responsible for submission, approval and costs of the building permit for the destination location. The building permit is usually a requirement of the moving permits. Sometimes a demolition permit is required for the site it is vacating.

Q: What are the utility and escort costs when you move a house?

A:They range and depend on several factors. The height of the structure will dictate much of the cost. A single storey bungalow with a low pitch roof is ideal; however it is possible for a single storey house with a higher pitch roof to be moved. Moving a 2-storey house is possible, but it incurs large utility costs and generally is not worth moving. It becomes worth it if it is going a very short distance or has great value to the individual who wants it moved.

Q: Is your company insured?

A: Yes, we carry liability insurance for all the aspects of the scope of work we provide. As well, many Counties, Cities, Municipalities and Townships require proof before permits are issued.

Q: When moving structures do you have your own trucks and equipment?

A: Yes. Warne Construction has a small fleet of their own trucks which have been modified to use during the moving process to reduce structural damage and to provide better traction. We also carry a variety of dollies to allow for more intricate moves and more cost effective when traveling on roadways.

Q: How long do move permits take to obtain?

A: The first course of action in the process of moving a house is obtaining the building permit for the new location of the structure and a demolition permit from the structure’s original location. After the building permit has been acquired, the process of applying for move permits starts. It generally takes a minimum of 6 weeks for permits to be approved. This is based on electricity suppliers. If the oversized load is below legal height (13’ 6”), it could be processed within a 2 week window. This happens if a single storey home or structure is being moved with the roof removed or if it is a shorter building initially.

Q: Who is responsible for obtaining permits?

A: It is the responsibility of the homeowner to obtain building permits (mandatory) and/or demolition permits (if applicable). Warne Construction is willing to assist in the building permit process. Warne Construction will obtain all permits necessary to travel on roads governed and maintained by the Ministry of Transportation, Counties, Municipalities, Towns, and Townships. Several permits may be required. Permission must be granted by landowners in writing should off road travel be necessary. Costs incurred from these permits are not included in the quotation from the mover unless specified. Warne Construction will arrange for all utility escorts.

*If you have any more questions you wish to ask, feel free to contact us*